iPANEL Presentation to Select Standing Committee on Health
On April 15, 2015, Kelli Stajduhar, iPANEL academic lead investigator, and Pat Coward, chair of the iPANEL advisory board, presented the Dying to Care (5MB PDF) report to the Select Standing Committee on Health in the BC legislature. This was an excellent opportunity to communicate with provincial MLAs about a palliative approach to care for people with chronic, advancing, life-limiting illness. Click HERE to download the full iPANEL submission (5MB PDF), and HERE (<1MB PDF) for the proceedings of the day's presentation.
- ISSUE: Our aging population means that living and dying with chronic disease is increasing. Innovative best practices must be implemented in order to meet these health care needs and maintain a sustainable health care system.
- CURRENT KNOWLEDGE: There is good evidence that embedding a palliative approach within current systems, as well as improving community-based health care, can increase satisfaction with care and reduce health care costs.
- Implement an integrated palliative approach across the health service continuum
- Extend and expand chronic disease management and primary care strategies to include an integrated palliative approach to care
- Apply a population focus in community, acute care and residential care settings in order to support persons through transitions in care